Sunday, March 4, 2012

Sunday Morning Breakfast: Berries and Cream

This morning, Ms. Rose started slamming doors at 5am. Now Chef Blackheart got up and somehow got her to go back to sleep until 7:30am!!! Unheard of in our house. However, Ms. Ryan was up and ready to wine. Well who could blame her, I was in a pretty bad mood from being woken early Sunday morning with the loud crack of a slamming door. So, Ryan and I creep downstairs and I try to throw together a cup of milk for her and a pot of coffee for me. Next on the list, breakfast! What to make? Muffins? Pancakes? Eggs in toast? Berries and Cream!!! This is so easy, you can even do it half asleep and it's very hard to mess up.

What you'll need:

3-4 cups of berries (I used a pint of strawberries, 1/2 pkg of blackberries, 1/2 pkg of raspberries, and a hand full of blueberries) Cut the strawberries into bite size.

1 pint Heavy Whipping Cream
2 tsp of Vanilla extract
2 tbsp of table sugar

Utensils:

a knife and cutting board
a whisk, preferably attached to a mixer for lazy people
a medium sized mixing bowl
a couple of small bowls or cups for serving


At first, I tried whisking the cream myself, but it was too early. I broke out the mixer with the whisk attachment. I placed the mixer on the lowest speed and let it thicken up. Once the cream got to be about sour cream consistency, I added the vanilla and sugar. Then I put the mixer on medium and let it go until the the cream made peaks that stayed when I quit stirring. This made it as thick as Cool Whip. I prefer cream that is about the thickness of yogurt, but whatever thickness you like best is fine. I just happen to let it get away from me. The girls loved it though. Just place cream and berries in container alternatively until the cup/ bowl is full. You can make this as pretty or as messy as you like. I made a pretty one to take a picture, but Chef Blackheart finished it off before I could take a picture. Dang...

Anyhow, Ryan had two bowls!. One bowl when I made it and another when her sister finally woke 2 hours later. I'll admit that Ryan liked the cream better than berries, but it's a little early for berries to be delicious

Here's Ryan enjoying her Berries and Cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment