Saturday, March 17, 2012

Being Overboard

We have still been baking and cooking. We made fettucini alfredo with the pasta we had dried, on Monday. Later last week, we made some pretty awesome meals out of Jamie Oliver's "Meals in Minutes" Cookbook. We tried a baked chicken with creamed spinach and potatoes that went over really well with the whole family. And we had cod with sweet potatoes, a broccoli and asparagus mix and home made berry frozen yogurt. Yum! Then we had leftovers. I have been trying to drink tea instead of DrPepper, but DrPepper is so good. Damn you DrPepper.

Getting back on track, I was talking to a friend of mine who's husband juices (as in juices with fruits and veggies.) She has bought organic produce for years. Made her own baby food. Really I'm jealous that she cares so much. I don't really believe that grocery stores are telling the truth when labeling organic. Maybe I'm just a cynic. Sometimes I feel like they just put food that looks organic (IE. smaller and looks like it's about to go bad.) and place it in the organic pile while no one is looking. I'm sure I'm wrong.

Anyhow, one thing you will notice is that organic food is expensive. Well more expensive than non-organic food. Herbs are also very expensive and normally we don't use all that we buy. So we thought, we just grow it. It will be so much more economical. I'm not so sure that's true, but I'm trying to convince myself that I will make my money back. And more importantly SAVE some money along the way.  So we're trying to grow a garden. We've been successful with radishes and sweet peas in our front yard flower bed. We did grow some carrots but they tasted like cigarette butts. Yuck.

So here's our plan. It changed after we went to the store, but we realized it's too late to grow cauliflower and broccoli until fall here in Houston. We also forgot to buy parsley during our many trip to Lowes and Home Depot yesterday.


<><>
Roma RomaGarlicRoseSageMintDillCucumbersCucumbersYellow OnionRed Onion
GarlicRoseSageMintDillGr PeppGreen beansYellow OnionRed Onion
CherryCherryCherryCherryRoseCilantroCilantroCilantroGr PeppGreen beansYellow OnionRed Onion
CherryCherryCherryCherryBasilBasilThymeThymeGr PeppGreen beansYellow OnionRed Onion


Home Depot was having a sale on the boxes for $30 a piece. The plants were kind of expensive but it would of been a lot cheaper if we had done it from seed. We choose not to go completely over the top this time, and we went the route of transplants. Just putting the boxes in, filling in the dirt and planting the herbs and veggies was a lot of work for two people in two day. But here's a picture of our end product. We're really new to all this so I will try to give updates and link them to this post. I'll let you know if we kill everything, or if things turn out fine.

Please wish us luck. I think I might cry if we kill all these beautiful plants. Now, if we only had a deck.

No comments:

Post a Comment