Sunday, June 17, 2012

Delicious Summer Berry Cobbler (Vegan)

I wrote just yesterday about how I don't really "believe" in making vegetarian and/ or vegan substitutes for recipes. Well I guess I'm literally eating my words. I was looking for a good cobbler to finish off the berries I had bought for the coffee cake. I've been craving cobbler so I went looking. I had a really hard time finding one that spoke to me, finally I found one and it was vegan. Hmmm. Well I guess I'll try it out. I normally don't trust things that don't have milk, cream, and or eggs in bread or pastries, but I must say this turned out great! The only change I made to the recipe was to serve the cobbler with vanilla ice cream rather than make coconut whipped cream (also vegan-Find the original recipe here)
This was also really easy and quick.

This was also Blackheart's Father's Day present since we're on a budget this year and we are saving for either a vacation this winter or a big five year anniversary gift. I don't know if he likes the homemade gift better, but he did enjoy the cobbler!

What you'll need:

Ingredients

Dough Topping:

1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
3 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup soy milk

Berries:

1/2 cup of sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cups raspberries
2 cup black berries
(The berries really don't matter, just make sure you have 4 cups of berries)

Items you'll need

2  metal whisks
1 large bowl
1 medium bowl
1 small bowl
1 wooden spoon
9 x 13" baking pan
large spoon

Directions or Guidelines:

Preheat 375F

Sift the flour into the medium sized bowl

Whisk in the rest of the dry ingredients
In a small bowl mix the canola oil and the soy milk
 Whisk the two together
Add the mixture to the flour mixture
 Mix together with a wooden spoon until the consistency of dough
Set aside

Rinse the berries, set aside to drain in the sink

Add all the dry ingredients into the large bowl
 Let your little helpers mix the sugar, flour and cinnamon mixture

Add the berries to the mixture, make sure to completely coat the berries
Place into the pan and scope the dough on top of the berries

 Bake for 45 minutes, turn after 25 minutes.

Let it cool
It was a huge success!
 Ryan thinks it is grrreeaaattt!
 Honestly, Rose LOVED the ice cream, and liked the cobbler
 End result
Freaking Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment